The worst thing about canned goods is that I’m left handed. Can openers and I aren’t good friends. And who really is willing to risk cutting themselves with the traditional ring-pull cans?
Enter the technology of vacuum-packed freshness!
Love Beets are new vacuum-packed, Australian baby beetroots. The lack of additives means these are 100% beetroot in all it’s brightly-coloured goodness.
Who said that food can’t look good and be good for you too? The lovely people from Love Beets sent me a packet to try.
There’s a plethora of things that beetroot can be used to make! The sky is limit as you’ll no longer be put off by cooking beetroots from scratch!
These can be added to salads or eaten on their own! Serve alongside a BBQ for people to add to burgers. Make a statement at dinnertime with a beetroot and melted brie risotto. Mix it in with some Greek yoghurt or sour cream for a dip.. More recipe ideas can be found here, straight from the Love Beets website!
Then again… you could make these super easy beetroot fritters. Because why not! Topped with prawns for protein, serve these with a salad on the side and you’ve got a balanced and healthy meal! Vegetarian? Leave out the prawns!
Spiced beetroot fritters with paprika prawns
Makes: 8 fritters
- 1 250g packet of Love Beets Baby Beetroot
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 10 prawns
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Baby spinach/any salad mix, to serve
- Sour cream and sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Grate baby beetroot straight from the packet. Drain beetroot juice (or reserve for a super healthy smoothie).
- Sift flour into a bowl, add paprika, chilli flakes, salt and pepper and mix. Make a well in the centre of the flour.
- In a cup, lightly whisk milk and egg together. Add liquid and grated beetroots to flour. Mix until combined.
- Heat a large frypan on high heat. Heat up a bit of oil. Add prawns to pan and sprinkle over smoked paprika. Toss frequently until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Use paper towel to wipe frypan.
- Heat up some oil again in the pan over medium heat. Add a heaped tablespoon of batter into pan and spread with the back of the spoon to make a flat-ish, circular fritter. I was able to fit 3 at a time.
- Cook until bubbles start to form on fritter then flip! Cook through for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat step 5 until all the batter is used up.
- Serve as a stack with prawns on top. Add a dollop of sour cream and chilli sauce on the side. Don’t forget to add your greens too!
This was my first time making fritters and I love how easy it was! The baby beetroots are pre-cooked which means convenience! The baby beetroots were great as I didn’t have to deal with cutting up a large whole beetroot beforehand either! It was a cinch to grate. Even stopping to take photos along the way dinner was made in about 30 minutes!
You could add in heaps of extra veggies to mix it up – grated carrot or zucchini, corn, etc.
My mixture could’ve been a little thinner i.e. use an extra dash of milk or add less flour which would’ve make it easier to spread once in the pan. Best to try a little test batch first to gauge consistency and timing!
This recipe post used Baby Beetroots supplied by Love Beets.