Making your own condiments means you won’t find any nasties like preservatives or other chemicals and you know exactly what’s in it.
This chilli and garlic oil is great for everything and the bright colour looks great drizzled over steamed Asian greens.
Take a spoonful or two of this and add it to stir fries or use as a meat marinade.
Use as a condiment and dip dumplings such as these into the oil for a mild kick of spice.
Chilli and garlic oil
- 25g dried chilli flakes
- 125mL neutral-flavoured oil (I used rice bran oil)
- Good quality salt flakes
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok over medium heat. Fry onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add chilli flakes. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Turn down heat to very low. Stir in 2-3 pinches of salt and remaining oil. Simmer and infuse for 30 minutes.
- Take of the heat and allow to cool before transferring to a clean jar.
Keep this in the cupboard and use as needed!